Dear Sirs, Oct 13, 2016 my email account firstname.lastname@example.org have been hacked and my address book stolen. My addresses are used sending letters from the hotmail account email@example.com. Is it possible to block account firstname.lastname@example.org it is a criminal activity ? Waiting for the response
When your email account is hacked, here are several steps you need to take :
- Check your computer’s security
- Change your password and make it stronger. Do this after your anti-virus and anti-malware programs are updated or the hackers may collect your new password as well.
- Send an email to your contacts saying you were hacked.
- No reputable bank or company is ever going to ask you to ’authenticate’ information online
- Validate the legitimacy of any program/game/app/video/song before downloading it
If you are a Hotmail user, there is a feature that can help you, or others you know who have had their email account hijacked. Called "my friend’s been hacked" and found under the "Mark as" dropdown, a simple click allows friends to report compromised accounts directly to Hotmail.
When you click that button, a report is sent to Hotmail where that report is combined with other information to determine if the account in question was in fact hijacked.